Sunday, September 15, 2013

Breastfeeding in vintage (outfit #61)

  When I first started wearing vintage on a regular basis, I had a really hard time finding clothing that was practical for my lifestyle.  Most of the things I fell in love with, and purchased in the early days, were dresses.  This wouldn't have been an issue for most people, but I happened to have a new baby whom I was nursing.  I found myself wearing a darling new dress to meet up for a coffee date with my husband, and then immediately having to change my clothes when I got home to feed my daughter.  Short of pulling a dress over my head in public, this new lifestyle choice wasn't conducive with being the kind of mother I wanted to be.  I had to reevaluate what I was buying so that I could be stylish and practical.  I suppose every mother goes through some sort of style crisis after they have a baby.  Between your changing shape, your lack of time to get ready in the morning, and the need for your wardrobe to be practical, sometimes you can feel like you have to sacrifice a little of your identity to meet the challenges of motherhood. Personally, I've found that taking extra steps to look presentable and put together really increase my self-confidence.  I fight against the "mom uniform" of yoga pants and t-shirts, because frankly even though my life isn't all about me these days, I still want to look like the stylish girl I used to be before having children.  Here are some of the tricks I use to be able to breastfeed my baby in vintage clothing:
1. Housedresses- these can be a postpartum girls best friend!  These dresses are meant to be comfy and roomy, and generally have zippers that run down the front.  You can wear a nursing tank underneath if you are looking for a little more modesty.
1960s housedress: Etsy  
Bakelite googly eyed pony brooch: Etsy  
assorted Bakelite bangles: Ebay
breastfeeding nursing vintage 1950s housedress motherhood Just Peachy, Darling
1960's housedress bakelite pony brooch Just Peachy, Darling


2. Shirtwaist dresses:  Pretty much anything that buttons or zips in the front for easy access is key.  If you happen to like babywearing (if you've never tried, you should give it a go...it's amazing!) you can easily open the front of the dress and then use the sling to give yourself a little more privacy.
3. Separates: this is insanely obvious, but it took me awhile to gather enough individual pieces to piece together some cute different outfits.  Skirts coupled with blouses loose enough to pull up comfortably or that have some stretch, are my go-to nursing staples.

4. Wrap dresses and blouses: just loosen the tie on the side and you'll be nursing in no time!
5. Peasant, gypsy, or Seniorita type blouses are meant to be a little more billowy which is perfect, because you can use the extra fabric to cover up.
Happy nursing toddler and even happier mama.
XOX, Hannah







2 comments:

  1. Great tips! I am well past breastfeeding, but I would have killed for this advice while I was trying to figure out feeding in public all those years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you brought this topic up - I don't recall ever seeing it discussed on other vintage blogs, yet it's certainly one that a good many of us vintage loving ladies will encounter in our lifetime and which should be chatted about for sure. Thank you so much for the terrific advice!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...